THE ART OF WAXING: TIPS, TRENDS AND WHERE WAXING GOT ITS START
- December 10, 2013
- Ziba Beauty
- The Art Of Waxing
As a relative newbie to the world of waxing, it’s always interesting to hear friends talk about the ups and downs of their waxing experiences. When I decided it was time for a first-hand account, my initial thought was – I need information. What questions should I ask? What am I asking for? It all seemed daunting. So for anyone who is looking to take the leap, or is curious about waxing, here’s a few facts I found out, that you may want to know.
Carving of the Ancient Egyptian Queen Cleopatra. Wall of the Temple of Horus at Edfu, Egypt.
Hair Removal Historically Speaking:
- The removal of female hair dates back to ancient India between 4000 and 3000 BC.
- In the Middle East, for centuries it has been considered proper hygiene in local customs for a woman to remove body hair.
- It is believed that Cleopatra was so averse to any hair on her body, she had full body threading, which is the removal of hair using a technique involving cotton thread.
What about Waxing?
- The earliest form of waxing is widely considered “Sugaring”, which is essentially a sugar paste that is rolled over the skin to remove hair.
- Today, choices in traditional waxing involve both hot and cold waxes. Hot Wax is applied to the skin and removed with fabric strips, whereas Cold Wax is often in pre-shaped sticky strips that are used to remove hair.
- Wax can come from many source; beeswax, honey, sugar and pine resin are some of the most common waxes used in hair removal.
So that’s what that’s called – What to ask for when waxing:
- Brazilian – Removes all female hair front to back, except for a small strip or triangle on top.
- Full Bikini – Removes all female hair front to back. May also be called a Full Brazilian. With smaller swimsuits and racier lingerie, Full Bikinis have gained significant popularity in recent years.
- French Bikini – Removes female hair on the front and sides, except for a small strip or triangle on top. Does not remove hair from the back (your behind).
- Shape to your Shape:
● If you have a straighter, less curvy figure with narrower hips, a strip is ideal as it compliments your already lean frame.
● If you have a fuller figure with more curves, opt for the triangle. The triangle follows the natural lines of the body and will flatter your shape perfectly.
The Art of Waxing – What our experts have to say:
The Art of Waxing is a proprietary experience created by Ziba Beauty. More than just a collection of pretty words, The Art of Waxing is a combination of technique, materials and experience – all designed to give even the most sensitive skin types superior, lasting results, in the most professional and hygienic manner.
The Art of Waxing by Ziba; why it’s so special:
- Utilizes an exclusive water-soluble wax, formulated just for Ziba, made of sugar and lemon and imported from India.
- Sandalwood Talc is used to powder the skin prior to the warm wax application, which soothes the skin.
- Pure, heavy-weight cotton strips are custom cut for every client, and ensure clean wax and hair removal the first time (no-redo’s!)
- Our Waxing Artists are women and clients, and understand what women want and should expect in terms of a professional experience with lasting results.
- Ziba upholds the highest sanitation standards, ensuring all tools are disposable and client exclusive, with no double dipping into the wax – ever.
Whether you wax, would like to, or were just looking for an inside scoop, we hope this has been helpful and informative!